31.7.12

Before I Was Born

  For some reason all the quality artists have some beef against my birthday. I was born in 1997, and for some strange reason, I can only really love movies from before 1990. I can only really adore musicians from before 1980. One of the reasons I like fashion is that I have the opportunity to wear (or at least dream about) clothes that remind me of my favorite things of the past but were made in the present. Fashion is a wonderful thing now. Its one of the only things I really love now.
  Two things on my mind today: Old Hollywood and Rodarte. One of the aspects that made me so hyped to see Rodarte featured in upcoming September issues is the cinematic, Old Hollywood feel in the shapes and textures. What's clever about it is that they use colors you don't normally associate to achieve the Old Hollywood Affect: a sad blue, a burnt orange, a rustic brown. One of the aspects that draws me towards Rodarte is the ability to pair the most unlikely colors. It happens to be an "Aha!" moment for me when I watch the show.

  So the suits are kind of Casablanca to me, in terms of shoulder structure, skirt length, and the curly hair of Ingrid Bergman. And, funny enough, Casablanca happens to be my favorite movie!


I could kiss him. But anyway, onto my other favorite movie, Bringing Up Baby. The curved shoulders and the frilly details of the dresses are a bit like the Rodarte ones. 



Hollywood sucks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment